About Me

My photo
Catton, Northumberland, United Kingdom
I love all kinds of stitching and enjoy learning, experimenting with and sharing new techniques. Married with 3 children, 2 daughters and a son, a dog and four cats, I also get involved with my daughters 3 horses.

Thursday 14 April 2011

A Day to myself

Yesterday I had the whole day to myself - well apart from all the animals.  Once they had been walked, fed etc I settled down to play.  Since reading an article by Erin  Partridge in Cloth Paper Scissors Magazine which described combining a drawing on artists vellum with felt and stitch I had fancied trying something similiar albeit in my own way.  Erin used overdyed commercial felt with hand needle felted accents as a background.  I decided to use transfer paints to create an impression of a landscape on white felt.

This is the felt after ironing the transfer painted paper onto it.




The next step was to embellish wool tops and felt fibres to create my landscape.  This came out of my head but was inspired by the wonderful landscape here in Allendale.

I drew the sheep on artists vellum using a permanent drawing pen
The next step was to cut him out and apply him to the background with Acrylic Medium

I also tried two more using images of moorland birds


I think I like the birds best but they all need some stitching to finish them.  These are approx A4 size but I think I will also try some larger ones as I really enjoyed building up the landscapes with the fibres and also being able to get really fine detailed drawings.   All I need now is another free day............

2 comments:

  1. I've seen drawings done on artists tissue and applied to the background with gel medium. The tissue then disappears into the background, especially after stitching and you don't have to cut out too carefully. Looks good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might give that a try. This hasn't merged with the background and will take some additional colour which is an advantage - I might also try doing it with tissuetex - once you start...........

    ReplyDelete